Starter Areas

The server was closed on April 2nd, 2023
https://pwmirage.com/forum/thread/342-we-are-closing/
  • We have been throwing around various ideas for where one will start in the game. Decided it was much easier to just have one spot where it can be discussed, so all ideas are visible in one place.

• It was suggested that you start at lvl 20, culti through 19 done, ready to go out and hit the mobs outside arch, i believe it was also suggested that you start with lvl 2 crafting.

My question for that one, are we going to also hand out starting gear?

• Not sure if it is easier to "adjust" 2-4 of the starter area quests to give the xp, spirit and rep, or to "change" what the character starts with. But here is my idea to quickly get you from starter city to arch. It also allows for the veno to take care of the couple of quests that are specific to the class, that give them their pet, pet tame, pet heal and pet revive.

Do the starter quest (the 2 from your start npc, that have you kill like 10 of each starter mob)

go to the elder in the starter city, get the "meet and greet" quest (where you go and get the gear)

when returning to the elder to complete the quest, change the Exp, spirit, rep and coins received -- completing this quest will take you to lvl 9

using highest numbers from all classes, would be: Experience: 11,410 spirit 2800 reputation: 18 coins: 6700 (sp, coin. rep is all 1x)

this will take the char to lvl 9 -- after maybe 3 minutes of play

after talking to elder, reaching lvl 9, go talk to taoist for the city -- A Little Progress i think the quest is (no change to quest reward)

**veno can do the quests for pet books/ pet at this point

take the next quest from taoist -- go talk to the "recluse" for the race -- kill the 9 mobs, return to npc, finish "culti" (no change to quest reward)

you then go back and talk to the taoist again -- reward is increased to take player to lvl 19

do the 19 culti quest chain (kill mob for 1 sprite, dig the other) (no change to quest reward)

talk to elder, receive tabs for 19, and either teleport to or opening of tele point to arch (increase the exp for the quest to make the player lvl 20) (exp of 22,325)

You have now completed culti and leveled to lvl 20 in about 20 minutes (or less depending on how quick you are) and are in arch :)

My only concern, is you are in arch with inadequate gear to kill anything outside the gates, so perhaps a NPC in arch you talk to to get a "new" set of starter gear? Or change the gear received from the NPC's (meet and greet quest) to be useful when you reach arch and lvl 20

• if we start at lv20 then we ought to provide some starter gear. or at least some coin / crafting mats to buy or make gear. it would be kinda cool to start off with a crafted set of gear.

• I originally suggested making everyone start at higher level (20 or 30), because those early levels are very tedious and in most cases you have to play them alone. Even if you come to the server with a friend, he'll probably pick another class and you won't be able to play together right away. I usually join a server just by myself and the first levels are unpleasant necessity that I need to go through. If we make everyone start at level 20 in archosaur, they will immediately see other players, because there's always someone in archo (whether high or low lvl). Also the quest chain and grinding spots would be also the same for all classes.

I guess people would also immediately notice the server is customized, because they probably expected to spawn in their corresponding cities.

Increasing XP rewards for culti quests 1-20 so that lvling up takes 20 minutes is also doable, but I wonder why would anyone want to go through that :P

As for the starting gear - yeah, sure. We could provide some, as well as a bunch of potions, some coins for repairs, a pickaxe, etc. I was thinking we could give all that as a reward for some introductory quest. Same for veno books and some starting pet.

As far as I remember, PW has something like a character template for each class. We can play it just like any character, move it some spot on the map, give it some gear, level, culti, and son. Sky is the limit.

• which, as I said, not sure how "easy" it was to "change" how they started. Figured doing a total of maybe 5 quests and getting to lvl 20 was fairly easy to do, since it is just a matter of adjusting the "reward" for the quests :)

If we can start at 20/30 in arch, and just "adjust" a quest or 2 there to give what is needed, then it may be easier to adjust there than in each of the starter areas, as it would be just 1 or 2 quests you need to adjust, instead of 3 or 4 in each starter city.

• A couple of ideas for how to get the needed "items" to players.

1. if we will have the supply stash, use it -- for 5/10/15 change the rewards to include coins, pickaxe, flyer (not the fastest, but decent) and whatever else we think is a must have for starting.

2. Put the Veno books (and pet egg) at the Veno NPC at the cost of 1 coin, that way they can get their skills, and a basic pet. It will also introduce them TO the veno NPC.

3. there are 2 quests already in arch for lvl 20, that do not require you to kill anything -- Chang's Story (sub quest No Money Here) and the second one is Meeting the General (starts at an apothecary). We can alter either of these to give the gear set.

• another idea for the supply stash -- neck, cape, ring, belt, hat the gear you wish you could get something decent for at the lower levels, and in later versions you get the unity set (neck, belt, ring) at 19, Some of the up to 19 quests give those things as well, and we would be "missing" those quests by starting at 20 or so.

If we are not going to have a supply stash, the we could alter the 2 quests (3 if you count the sub quest) to also give the items we are looking to make sure people have. For the flyer, we can always just put one for sale at the merchant, or make a flyer craftable at a crafting NPC or even at the Veno NPC